Trump,  says he will appeal historic conviction (Updated)

Trump,  says he will appeal historic conviction (Updated)

Donald Trump was found guilty of falsifying business records and plans to appeal the verdict after his sentencing on July 11. The charge carries a maximum sentence of four years in prison, but Trump’s public criticism during the trial could lead to a tougher penalty. Despite the conviction, Trump is still running for president in the 2024 election and faces three other criminal prosecutions. The guilty verdict prompted him to intensify deliberations on selecting a woman as his vice presidential running mate. National opinion polls show a tight race between Trump and Joe Biden, with some Republican voters expressing continued support for Trump while others are considering voting for Democrats. The verdict led to an increase in campaign donations for Trump, and some major Republican donors plan to continue supporting his campaign. The jury found Trump guilty of falsifying business documents based on explicit testimony from Stormy Daniels and Michael Cohen. If elected, Trump could potentially shut down federal cases against him related to overturning the 2020 election loss and mishandling classified documents.

Trump is a convicted felon. Now what?

Trump is a convicted felon. Now what?

Donald Trump, the first former U.S. president convicted of a crime, will remain free while awaiting sentencing for falsifying business records to cover up a hush money payment. The judge must approve the verdict, and sentencing could lead to fines or probation instead of prison time. Trump could appeal the conviction, arguing legal errors and that state law doesn’t apply to federal elections. He could still run for president and be sworn in from jail if he were to unseat Biden.

Guilty on all counts, Donald,  Trump becomes first US president convicted of a crime

Guilty on all counts, Donald,  Trump becomes first US president convicted of a crime

Donald Trump became the first U.S. president to be convicted of a crime on Thursday when a New York jury found him guilty of falsifying documents to cover up a payment to silence a porn star ahead of the 2016 election.

Man guilty of sexually abusing 11-year-old foster daughter

Man guilty of sexually abusing 11-year-old foster daughter

A 50-year-old man was convicted on 15 charges of sexually abusing his 11-year-old foster daughter over the course of a year, as ruled by a court in Limassol. The man committed the crimes against the minor in the home where she lived as a foster child. The court found prosecutors’ witnesses credible and the defense witnesses, including the accused, unreliable. The defendant denied the charges, leading to a trial. The victim, now 14, was placed in the foster home three years ago after receiving little affection from her biological parents. She eventually spoke out about the abuse, leading to a complaint with authorities and the subsequent prosecution at the Limassol Criminal Court.

Ex-corporate lawyer to plead guilty to not paying federal taxes on $3.4 million of income

Ex-corporate lawyer to plead guilty to not paying federal taxes on $3.4 million of income

Eric E. Lenzen, a former partner at a major Milwaukee law firm, is agreeing to plead guilty to failing to pay taxes on about .4 million of income he received in 2016 and 2017. He may be heading to federal prison, and prosecutors are recommending a sentence of no more than 16 months. Lenzen also agreed to pay nearly million in restitution for taxes owed from 2016 to 2021. His law license is currently suspended for failing to take continuing legal education classes.

82-year-old shooter likely , ‘to be pardoned’

82-year-old shooter likely , ‘to be pardoned’

An 82-year-old man who was jailed for shooting a cable thief is expected to receive a presidential pardon. He had been sentenced to two and a half years behind bars for intending to cause serious bodily harm and using a firearm. The shooting took place in the Limassol village of Alassa, where the man fired a shot at the thief, hitting him in the back. The thief was hospitalized but later made a full recovery.

Colorado paramedic to be sentenced in Elijah McClain’s death, bringing case to a close

Colorado paramedic to be sentenced in Elijah McClain’s death, bringing case to a close

A paramedic in Colorado is set to be sentenced for his involvement in the death of Elijah McClain, a young Black man who died after being put in a chokehold by police and injected with ketamine. The sentencing closes out the legal proceedings related to McClain’s death, which led to significant police reforms in Colorado, including banning chokeholds and prohibiting police from pressuring paramedics to use ketamine on suspects. The case has also highlighted the importance of district attorney races in holding law enforcement accountable.

Court reduces sentence in fatal collision case

Court reduces sentence in fatal collision case

The Court of Appeal reduced the sentence of a 54-year-old driver involved in a fatal accident in 2019, from nine years to seven years in prison. The accident occurred on the Nicosia-Limassol motorway, where the driver, under the influence of alcohol and pills, collided with another car, resulting in the death of a 27-year-old man. The Court of Appeal deemed the original sentence excessive for involuntary manslaughter.

Monks, ’ lawyers demand halt to church probe

Monks, ’ lawyers demand halt to church probe

Lawyers representing the Osiou Avakoum monks called for an end to investigations by the archdiocese, citing alleged prior sentencing of the monks for crimes.

Parents of Michigan school shooter sentenced to 10-15 years in prison

Parents of Michigan school shooter sentenced to 10-15 years in prison

The parents of a Michigan teen who shot and killed four classmates were sentenced to between 10 and 15 years in prison for manslaughter. The father purchased the handgun as a Christmas present for the teen just days before the shooting, and the parents ignored signs of their son’s deteriorating mental health and potential for violence. The parents were the first to be charged with manslaughter in a school shooting carried out by one of their children, setting a precedent for holding gun-owning parents more accountable for school violence.