Kate, ’s cancer news should end speculation about her

Kate, ’s cancer news should end speculation about her

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, announced on Friday that she was undergoing treatment for cancer. This announcement aimed to address and put an end to the widespread speculation about her health that had been circulating on social media, newspapers, and some U.S. talk shows since she underwent abdominal surgery in January. Kate had taken a leave of absence from royal engagements to recover from the surgery. Despite efforts to maintain privacy, speculation continued, especially after her husband, Prince William, canceled his attendance at a memorial service for personal reasons. Kensington Palace stated that Kate wanted to share this information when it was right for her and her family. In a video message, Kate expressed gratitude for her medical team and explained the decision to manage this privately for the sake of their young family, which includes Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis. The announcement follows a period of intense speculation and comes amid other challenges faced by the royal family, including King Charles’s battle with cancer and the public falling out with Prince Harry and Meghan.

England boss Southgate dismisses disrespectful Man Utd links

England boss Southgate dismisses disrespectful Man Utd links

Gareth Southgate, the England manager, dismissed reports linking him to the Manchester United managerial position as disrespectful, emphasizing his focus on the European Championship. Southgate, whose current contract with England runs until the end of 2024, has not yet agreed to a new deal. He stated his commitment to England, mentioning that he would not consider any other positions while still in his current role. Southgate also highlighted the disrespect of speculating about the managerial position at Manchester United, given that the club already has a manager. He mentioned England’s upcoming friendly matches against Brazil and Belgium at Wembley Stadium.

Kate’s cancer news should end speculation about her, commentators say

Kate’s cancer news should end speculation about her, commentators say

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, announced on Friday that she was undergoing treatment for cancer. This announcement aimed to end speculation about her health, which had been rampant since she underwent abdominal surgery in January and took a leave of absence from royal engagements. Despite Kensington Palace stating she would not return to her public role until after Easter, speculation continued. The situation was further fueled by Prince William’s absence from a memorial service for his godfather due to an unspecified “personal matter” and intensified when Kate apologized for editing a photograph of her with her children for Mother’s Day. Kate and William have been focused on protecting their privacy and allowing their children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, time to understand the situation. Kate expressed gratitude for her medical team and described the past couple of months as incredibly tough for their family. The revelation about Kate’s health follows news that William’s father, King Charles, is also battling cancer.

UK royal Kate says she is having chemotherapy after cancer discovery

UK royal Kate says she is having chemotherapy after cancer discovery

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, is undergoing preventative chemotherapy after tests following major abdominal surgery in January revealed cancer. She had been hospitalized for two weeks in January for what was described as successful, planned surgery for a non-cancerous condition. Subsequent tests, however, found cancer, leading to her current treatment. Kate, aged 42 and the wife of Prince William, the heir to the throne, shared this information in a video message, noting that she and Prince William have been managing this privately for their young family. King Charles, her father-in-law, also announced in February that he was to have cancer treatment. Kensington Palace has not disclosed the type of cancer Kate has but stated she began preventative chemotherapy in February and is on a recovery pathway. Kate has been absent from official duties since her surgery, planning to return after Easter, and has not appeared at a public event since Christmas Day. She and William decided to keep her cancer diagnosis private until their children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, were on school holidays.

Labour, ’s Starmer urges people to leave Princess of Wales alone

Labour, ’s Starmer urges people to leave Princess of Wales alone

British opposition Labour party leader Keir Starmer urged people to respect the privacy of Kate, the Princess of Wales, after she became the subject of speculation and conspiracy theories following her abdominal surgery in January. Starmer emphasized the need for privacy for Kate, who had a non-cancerous but unspecified condition, during an interview on Channel 5 television. This call for privacy comes amidst weeks of online rumors and further intrigue sparked by an apology from Kate for editing a photo taken by her husband William of her and their three children. British newspapers have echoed the sentiment that the public should stop speculating about her health. Kate’s office has maintained that she is recovering well and will only provide significant updates. The Princess was last seen in a video published by the Sun, showing her walking and carrying shopping bags with William near their home in Windsor. Additionally, Britain’s data watchdog is investigating a report that hospital staff tried to access Kate’s private health records.

Euro-Dollar weakens ahead of Fed, Lagarde cites lower inflation

Euro-Dollar weakens ahead of Fed, Lagarde cites lower inflation

The EURUSD pair declined to the lower 1.0800s after European Central Bank (ECB) speakers, including President Christine Lagarde and Bank of Ireland Governor Gabriel Makhlouf, cited lower inflation. Lagarde mentioned a decrease in wage inflation and stated that the ECB is closely monitoring this before deciding on future policy moves. Lower inflation could lead to the ECB cutting interest rates, negatively affecting the Euro and the EURUSD pair. Lagarde noted that average wage growth for 2024 fell from 4.4% to 4.2% between the ECB’s January and March meetings. She mentioned the need for more evidence of receding inflation but suggested that rate hikes could be dialed back in June if data aligns with current expectations. The ECB is divided into two camps regarding the timing of interest rate decisions. ECB Vice President Luis de Guindos, preferring to wait until the June meeting, highlighted that services inflation remains too high. The Federal Reserve is expected to complete its March policy meeting without changing interest rates but may revise its quarterly forecasts and statement, potentially affecting the US Dollar valuation. Speculation exists that the Fed might adjust its economic forecasts in the Summary of Economic Projections (SEP) and the “dot plot,” possibly revising down the forecasted rate cuts in 2024 due to persistent inflationary pressures.

Second British royal photograph involving Kate was digitally altered, Reuters says

Second British royal photograph involving Kate was digitally altered, Reuters says

A second royal photograph issued by Kensington Palace, the office of Prince William and Kate, was found to be digitally altered in eight places according to Reuters, after an analysis by the news organization’s photo editors. The picture, released in April of the previous year to commemorate the 97th birthday of the late Queen Elizabeth, depicted the former monarch with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren at Balmoral Castle, taken by Kate. Getty Images informed its clients that the Balmoral picture had been “digitally enhanced at source” and is reviewing handout images for digital enhancements. The alterations were made through digital cloning, but the reasons for these changes were not immediately clear. Kensington Palace has not commented on the alterations. Following this, Reuters is updating its procedures for vetting images from Kensington Palace to ensure they meet editorial standards. Earlier, a photograph of Kate with her children was withdrawn by news organizations after failing to meet editorial standards, leading to Kate issuing an apology for any confusion caused by her editing of the photo.

Explainer: When is the UK election?

Explainer: When is the UK election?

– The last possible date for Britain’s next general election is January 28, 2025.
– Prime Minister Rishi Sunak indicated that 2024 would be an election year.
– Sunak’s working assumption is for a general election in the second half of this year.
– Sunak ruled out holding an election on May 2 and is unlikely to choose any day in May due to logistical difficulties.
– Expectations are for a vote in October or November.
– The decision to call a general election is made by the Prime Minister unless the government loses a motion of no confidence in parliament.
– Upon calling an election, parliament is dissolved, and all lawmakers lose their seats, with a 25 working day period until the general election.
– Elections have been held on a Thursday since 1935.
– Parliament will automatically dissolve on December 17 if an election is not called before then.
– 650 constituencies elect MPs under a first-past-the-post system.
– If a party wins more than 325 MPs, King Charles will invite its leader to form a government.
– If no party achieves a majority, there might be a coalition government or a minority government.
– The Conservative Party has governed in coalition and as a minority government in the past.
– Currently, the Conservatives have a majority, but polls show the Labour Party leading by about 20 percentage points.

UK PM Rishi Sunak rules out holding an election in early May

UK PM Rishi Sunak rules out holding an election in early May

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced he would not hold a general election in early May, indicating the vote would likely occur later in the year. This statement aims to quell speculation about an early election, despite opposition parties urging for one. Sunak confirmed there would be no election on May 2, the same day as local elections, due to logistical challenges of organizing two elections close together. Despite facing political challenges, including a party defection and controversy over donor funds, Sunak has previously suggested the election could happen in the latter half of the year. Current polls show Sunak’s Conservative Party trailing behind the Labour Party by approximately 20 percentage points. The government has faced difficulties in fulfilling its main promises, but Sunak has achieved the goal of halving inflation by the end of 2023. A general election must be held by January next year, but Sunak has the discretion to call one sooner.