King Charles hopes to visit The Bahamas next year, prime minister’s office says

King Charles hopes to visit The Bahamas next year, prime minister’s office says

King Charles, who is undergoing cancer treatment, hopes to visit The Bahamas next year, possibly coinciding with the country’s independence celebration in July 2025.

Kate praised for , ‘extraordinary dignity’ after cancer diagnosis

Kate praised for , ‘extraordinary dignity’ after cancer diagnosis

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, was diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing preventative chemotherapy. This diagnosis came after major abdominal surgery in January revealed the presence of cancer. The 42-year-old princess described the diagnosis as a “huge shock.” The news has led to widespread support from the public, including messages from King Charles, Prince Harry, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, and U.S. President Joe Biden. King Charles is also undergoing cancer treatment. Kate made a video statement about her condition from Windsor. Her brother, James Middleton, expressed his support on Instagram. British newspapers covered the story extensively, with The Sun and the Daily Mirror highlighting the public’s support and Kate’s own words on the matter. The Daily Telegraph quoted Kate as saying she is “going to be OK,” while the Daily Mail criticized those who speculated about her health.

Kate, ’s cancer news should end speculation about her

Kate, ’s cancer news should end speculation about her

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, announced on Friday that she was undergoing treatment for cancer. This announcement aimed to address and put an end to the widespread speculation about her health that had been circulating on social media, newspapers, and some U.S. talk shows since she underwent abdominal surgery in January. Kate had taken a leave of absence from royal engagements to recover from the surgery. Despite efforts to maintain privacy, speculation continued, especially after her husband, Prince William, canceled his attendance at a memorial service for personal reasons. Kensington Palace stated that Kate wanted to share this information when it was right for her and her family. In a video message, Kate expressed gratitude for her medical team and explained the decision to manage this privately for the sake of their young family, which includes Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis. The announcement follows a period of intense speculation and comes amid other challenges faced by the royal family, including King Charles’s battle with cancer and the public falling out with Prince Harry and Meghan.

Kate’s cancer news should end speculation about her, commentators say

Kate’s cancer news should end speculation about her, commentators say

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, announced on Friday that she was undergoing treatment for cancer. This announcement aimed to end speculation about her health, which had been rampant since she underwent abdominal surgery in January and took a leave of absence from royal engagements. Despite Kensington Palace stating she would not return to her public role until after Easter, speculation continued. The situation was further fueled by Prince William’s absence from a memorial service for his godfather due to an unspecified “personal matter” and intensified when Kate apologized for editing a photograph of her with her children for Mother’s Day. Kate and William have been focused on protecting their privacy and allowing their children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, time to understand the situation. Kate expressed gratitude for her medical team and described the past couple of months as incredibly tough for their family. The revelation about Kate’s health follows news that William’s father, King Charles, is also battling cancer.

UK royal Kate says she is having chemotherapy after cancer discovery

UK royal Kate says she is having chemotherapy after cancer discovery

Kate, Britain’s Princess of Wales, is undergoing preventative chemotherapy after tests following major abdominal surgery in January revealed cancer. She had been hospitalized for two weeks in January for what was described as successful, planned surgery for a non-cancerous condition. Subsequent tests, however, found cancer, leading to her current treatment. Kate, aged 42 and the wife of Prince William, the heir to the throne, shared this information in a video message, noting that she and Prince William have been managing this privately for their young family. King Charles, her father-in-law, also announced in February that he was to have cancer treatment. Kensington Palace has not disclosed the type of cancer Kate has but stated she began preventative chemotherapy in February and is on a recovery pathway. Kate has been absent from official duties since her surgery, planning to return after Easter, and has not appeared at a public event since Christmas Day. She and William decided to keep her cancer diagnosis private until their children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, were on school holidays.

King Charles doing ‘very well’, Camilla tells Belfast crowds

King Charles doing ‘very well’, Camilla tells Belfast crowds

– King Charles is being treated for cancer and has been absent from public duties since January.
– Queen Camilla said King Charles is doing “very well.”
– Camilla and Prince William have been the public face of the royal family during Charles’s absence.
– Camilla, aged 76, interacted with the public in Belfast, including joking with a small boy and thanking a schoolgirl who gave her a card for Charles.
– Kate, the Princess of Wales, is recuperating from abdominal surgery for a non-cancerous condition and is expected to return to official duties after Easter on March 31.
– Britain’s data watchdog is investigating a report of attempted unauthorized access to Kate’s private health records at the London hospital where she was treated.
– Camilla, who has set up a reading charity, is scheduled to attend an event celebrating Northern Ireland’s literary history at Hillsborough Castle.

Prince Harry’s landline calls bugged by Murdoch papers, lawyers say

Prince Harry’s landline calls bugged by Murdoch papers, lawyers say

Rupert Murdoch’s British tabloid papers are accused of bugging Prince Harry’s landline phones and accessing messages on Princess Diana’s pager, as stated by Prince Harry’s legal team in London’s High Court. Prince Harry and over 40 others are suing News Group Newspapers (NGN) for alleged unlawful activities by its journalists and private investigators, involving the Sun and the defunct News of the World, from the mid-1990s until 2016. A ruling by Judge Timothy Fancourt allowed Harry’s claims of unlawful information gathering to proceed to trial, but dismissed allegations of old mobile phone hacking for being filed too late. Harry’s lawyers aim to amend his lawsuit to include new allegations, such as the Sun targeting his then-girlfriend Meghan in 2016 and widespread bugging of his calls. The claim also involves allegations about Princess Diana’s surveillance and call interception by NGN, known to its editors and senior executives. NGN has objected to these new allegations, citing various reasons including lateness and lack of evidence. In 2011, NGN apologized for phone-hacking by News of the World journalists and settled over 1,300 claims, but denies wrongdoing by Sun staff. Harry’s lawyers have accused Murdoch and senior executives of covering up wrongdoing and giving false evidence. NGN argues some claimants are attacking the tabloid press, and denies allegations against its staff. Since moving to California in 2020, Harry has focused on battling the British press for intruding into his private life. In December, he won a lawsuit against Mirror Group Newspaper for phone-hacking and unlawful activities.

Explainer: When is the UK election?

Explainer: When is the UK election?

– The last possible date for Britain’s next general election is January 28, 2025.
– Prime Minister Rishi Sunak indicated that 2024 would be an election year.
– Sunak’s working assumption is for a general election in the second half of this year.
– Sunak ruled out holding an election on May 2 and is unlikely to choose any day in May due to logistical difficulties.
– Expectations are for a vote in October or November.
– The decision to call a general election is made by the Prime Minister unless the government loses a motion of no confidence in parliament.
– Upon calling an election, parliament is dissolved, and all lawmakers lose their seats, with a 25 working day period until the general election.
– Elections have been held on a Thursday since 1935.
– Parliament will automatically dissolve on December 17 if an election is not called before then.
– 650 constituencies elect MPs under a first-past-the-post system.
– If a party wins more than 325 MPs, King Charles will invite its leader to form a government.
– If no party achieves a majority, there might be a coalition government or a minority government.
– The Conservative Party has governed in coalition and as a minority government in the past.
– Currently, the Conservatives have a majority, but polls show the Labour Party leading by about 20 percentage points.

King Charles hails Commonwealth but misses annual celebrations

King Charles hails Commonwealth but misses annual celebrations

King Charles praised the Commonwealth’s work during its 75th anniversary year in a pre-recorded video message, as he was absent from the annual celebrations due to recuperation from cancer treatment. The Commonwealth Day events, significant in the royal calendar, proceeded without him, with Queen Camilla leading senior royals at Westminster Abbey. The Commonwealth, a voluntary association of 56 nations, was highlighted by Charles as a source of strength, inspiration, and pride in his life.

How to watch the Commonwealth Day service [VIDEO]

How to watch the Commonwealth Day service [VIDEO]

– The Commonwealth Day service celebrates the 75th anniversary of the Commonwealth, a club of 56 countries evolved from the British Empire.
– The service will be broadcast live from Westminster Abbey on BBC One and BBC iPlayer at 4:35 p.m., and on BBC’s YouTube channel.
– Performances from musicians and groups from Uganda, India, and Samoa will be included in the event.
– Phoebe Coles has been selected to represent Cyprus as the flagbearer at the Commonwealth Day Service and Celebration.
– Last year, the event featured a performance by the Cypriot all-female “Amalgamation Choir“.
– King Charles will be absent from the annual Commonwealth Day celebrations due to recuperation from cancer treatment.
– Queen Camilla will lead senior royals at the service at London’s Westminster Abbey and a reception at the Commonwealth’s international headquarters.
– Kate, the wife of Prince William, will also be absent as she recovers from abdominal surgery.
– The Commonwealth covers 2.5 billion people and was significantly shaped by Queen Elizabeth, Charles’ late mother.
– British Foreign Secretary and former Prime Minister David Cameron attended the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in London, Britain, on March 11, 2024.
– Anti-monarchy protestors demonstrated on the day British royals attended the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in London, Britain, on March 11, 2024.