Abbas to Blinken: Gaza critical for Palestinians

Abbas also called for "the convening of an international peace conference to end the Israeli occupation of the land of the State of Palestine."

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken today that Gaza is critical to Palestinian hopes for statehood and should not be cut off as a result of Israel's war with Hamas, according to with an official announcement.

The statement, carried by the Palestinian WAFA News Agency, also said Abbas said Palestinians should not be displaced from Gaza or the Israeli-occupied West Bank, where he exercises limited rule after a split with Hamas in 2007.

Abbas also called for "the convening of an international peace conference to end the Israeli occupation of the land of the State of Palestine, with East Jerusalem as its capital, which achieves peace and security for all," according to WAFA.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas discussed US efforts to counter extremist violence in the West Bank and minimize harm to civilians in Gaza during their meeting today, he said. the State Department.

The two men also discussed "administrative reforms that, if implemented, will benefit the Palestinian people," State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement.

Cameras show Israeli army vehicles driving over a Palestinian corpse

Security camera footage, captured outside a house in the occupied West Bank town of Tulkarem, shows Israeli security forces vehicles repeatedly driving over the body of a Palestinian man who had been shot during a raid by Israeli forces.

The Israeli Border Police said a vehicle inadvertently drove over the body after the vehicle arrived in the area to free Israeli forces who, according to the Israeli Border Police, had come under heavy fire, adding that the incident was under investigation.

The video emerged after Israeli police said yesterday, Monday, that Israeli special forces raided Tulkarem to capture a wanted militant and killed three Palestinian gunmen in a shootout.

The video shows Israeli security forces approaching a house during the night and opening fire on a group of young men, at least one of whom was armed, after the young men ran out of the house into the street.

Two of the men were hit in the road and left motionless on the pavement, while video footage taken from another angle shows a third man being shot.

The footage shows an Israeli security forces vehicle pull up in front of two bodies lying on the ground and drive over one of them, stopping at one point at the man's feet.

Footage apparently taken at a later time shows a body apparently moved to the side of the road, while another vehicle reverses over the other body and then maneuvers over it twice more.

Footage from another camera that captured the same scene, apparently taken moments earlier, shows Palestinians running out of the house, one handing a rifle to the other, who was immediately shot dead. The video shows the two men in the street from different angles as well as the third man, lying in the private lane leading to the house.

The Palestinian Foreign Ministry issued a statement condemning the incident, which it said reflected a "culture of hatred and extremism."

The Tulkarem Brigades, an armed militant group linked to Fatah, which leads the internationally recognized Palestinian Authority, said one of the Palestinians killed in Monday's raid was a member of it.

Tulkarem, home to one of the main crossing points between the West Bank and Israel, has seen repeated raids by Israeli security forces since the October 7 attack on Israel by Hamas.