Netanyahu tells Republicans Gaza war will continue, days after Schumer speech

Netanyahu tells Republicans Gaza war will continue, days after Schumer speech

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu informed U.S. Republican senators that Israel will continue its efforts to defeat Hamas in the Gaza Strip. This statement was made during a videolink address to the senators. The meeting highlighted the political nature of U.S.-Israel policy, with Netanyahu having a long-standing alignment with Republicans. The Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, Mike Johnson, considered inviting Netanyahu to address Congress. The conflict in question began with an attack by Hamas on October 7, resulting in 1,200 deaths and 253 captives according to Israeli counts. Schumer, the Senate’s Democratic majority leader, declined an offer for Netanyahu to speak to Democrats, emphasizing a non-partisan approach to supporting Israel. The humanitarian crisis in Gaza has led to nearly 32,000 Palestinian deaths. Netanyahu discussed civilian casualties and supported plans to deliver aid to Gaza via a temporary pier. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell emphasized that the U.S. should not advise a democratic ally on election timing or military campaigns.

Larnaca hosting international meeting on “Amalthea” initiative

Larnaca hosting international meeting on “Amalthea” initiative

Senior officials from 35 countries and international organizations are meeting in Larnaca, Cyprus, to discuss food security in the Gaza Strip. The two-day meeting aims to address the food crisis in Gaza amid the ongoing war in Palestine. Over 150 attendees are participating both in person and virtually, focusing on coordinating humanitarian aid deliveries to Gaza by sea and securing financial support for the “Amalthea” project, a Cyprus-led initiative targeting Gaza’s food security challenges. The meeting’s primary goal is to establish a framework for the technical implementation of the “Amalthea” Plan, including the creation of a joint fund for financial support and addressing logistical elements for the project’s operation.

Blinken begins new Middle East trip as U.S. strains with Israel show

Blinken begins new Middle East trip as U.S. strains with Israel show

– U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken embarked on a Middle East mission, with no initial stop in Israel announced.
– Intense fighting occurred around Al Shifa hospital in Gaza City, with Israel claiming to have killed 90 gunmen and Hamas stating those killed were civilians.
– Blinken was scheduled to visit Saudi Arabia and Cairo to discuss efforts to secure a truce in the conflict.
– Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plea from President Joe Biden to call off plans for a ground assault of Rafah.
– Netanyahu aims to complete the elimination of Hamas battalions in Rafah through a ground assault.
– The war between Israel and Hamas began on October 7, with Hamas killing 1,200 people and capturing 253 hostages, and nearly 32,000 Palestinians confirmed killed since then.
– Ceasefire talks have resumed in Qatar, with discussions on a truce involving the release of around 40 Israeli hostages in return for hundreds of Palestinian detainees.
– Israel launched an operation against Al Shifa hospital, claiming Hamas fighters regrouped there, and reported killing 90 gunmen and detaining 160 at the hospital.
– Hamas acknowledged a senior police commander was killed in the hospital but stated he was responsible for civilian security.

Food aid from Cyprus reaches starving people in northern Gaza, says charity

Food aid from Cyprus reaches starving people in northern Gaza, says charity

– A U.S.-based charity reported that nearly 200 tons of food aid reached northern Gaza, having been shipped from the Cypriot port of Larnaca.
– The charity involved is World Central Kitchen (WCK), in collaboration with the United Arab Emirates and Spanish charity Open Arms.
– The food was transported over a 200-mile sea route from Larnaca to Gaza and arrived off Gaza’s coast on Friday, with delivery completed on Tuesday by a convoy of eight trucks from the World Food Programme (WFP).
– The delivered aid is equivalent to half a million meals.
– A U.N.-backed report indicated that famine is “imminent” in northern Gaza, affecting some 300,000 people, with 1.1 million people across Gaza facing “catastrophic hunger.”
– A second shipment of 240 tons of food is prepared in Larnaca, awaiting departure based on weather conditions.
– WCK has expressed readiness to send weekly food shipments to Gaza with international support.
– Aid agencies have highlighted that the amount of food that can be delivered by sea is insufficient for the needs in Gaza and have called for more aid to be allowed in by road.
– Cyprus supports the WCK initiative and plans to coordinate further aid, hosting discussions with officials from various countries on March 21.

Washington makes new push for Gaza ceasefire to head off famine, Rafah assault

Washington makes new push for Gaza ceasefire to head off famine, Rafah assault

– The United States is pushing for a ceasefire in Gaza to prevent a famine and is urging Israel not to launch a ground assault on Rafah, where over a million displaced people are taking refuge.
– Secretary of State Antony Blinken is planning a trip to the Middle East to meet leaders of Egypt and Saudi Arabia to discuss peace, but no visit to Israel has been announced.
– Israeli air strikes in Rafah killed 14 people, and Gaza’s food shortages have surpassed famine levels according to the international hunger monitor.
– Israel denies causing Gaza’s hunger, claiming it is opening new routes for aid and that U.N. and other agencies should distribute food more effectively.
– The U.N. suggests Israel’s restrictions and conduct in the conflict could constitute a war crime.
– Ceasefire talks are resuming in Qatar, with discussions around a six-week truce that would involve the release of hostages and detainees and the provision of aid to Gaza.
– The humanitarian situation in Gaza and the potential assault on Rafah have caused tension between the Israeli government and the U.S. administration.
– White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan expressed that a ground operation in Rafah would be a mistake and that Israel’s goals can be achieved by other means.
– Israel insists a ground assault is necessary to defeat Hamas in Gaza, including in Rafah.
– Hamas reported the death of a senior police commander and his family in northern Gaza due to overnight air strikes.
– Israel aims to continue its military operations in Gaza until Hamas is defeated and claims to have killed senior Hamas officials, including the deputy commander of the Hamas military wing.
– Talks hosted in Qatar between Israel and Hamas are ongoing, with hopes for a truce that would benefit over two million people in Gaza.

Aid ship reaches Gaza as Israel rejects Hamas truce offer [VIDEO]

Aid ship reaches Gaza as Israel rejects Hamas truce offer [VIDEO]

– The first ship carrying food aid, the Open Arms vessel with 200 tonnes of food, reached the coast of the Gaza Strip.
– The charity World Central Kitchen (WCK) aims to deliver the aid on a temporary jetty.
– The aid is intended to ease the hunger crisis in Gaza, where hundreds of thousands face malnourishment.
– The war began with an attack by Hamas on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and taking 253 hostages in Israel.
– An Israeli assault has killed more than 31,000 people and displaced nearly the entire 2.3 million population of Gaza.
– Hamas’s latest ceasefire counter-proposal, which includes the release of hostages and talks to end the war, was rejected by Israel.
– Israel demands only temporary pauses in fighting and refuses to discuss ending the war until Hamas is eradicated.
– Sami Abu Zuhri, a senior Hamas official, criticized Israel’s rejection of the ceasefire proposal.
– Efforts for a ceasefire continue, with mediators from the U.S., Egypt, and Qatar involved.
– The United Nations reports all 2.3 million people in Gaza are suffering from a food crisis.
– Israel denies blame for the hunger crisis and calls for better food distribution by aid agencies.
– At least 21 people were killed and 150 wounded by Israeli forces during a food distribution event.
– U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer called for Israelis to replace Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, criticizing his approach to the conflict.

EU humanitarian chief urges Israel to boost land access to Gaza

EU humanitarian chief urges Israel to boost land access to Gaza

– Air drops and a maritime corridor are insufficient to replace the supplies usually transported by trucks into Gaza, according to the European Union’s top humanitarian aid official.
– Janez Lenarcic, the EU’s humanitarian aid and crisis management chief, emphasized that land routes are the most efficient way to deliver supplies to Gaza.
– Lenarcic warned of a famine risk in Gaza, with credible indications of existing famine pockets.
– Gaza has been isolated since Israel’s war with Hamas began following an attack by Hamas on October 7.
– The United Nations estimates over half a million people in Gaza, out of a population of 2.3 million, are on the brink of starvation, with child malnutrition levels being extremely high, especially in the northern part of Gaza.
– Lenarcic called for a surge in humanitarian aid and its distribution within Gaza, stressing the importance of land access and urging Israel to open additional land crossings.
– Officials from the European Union, the United States, the United Nations, Britain, Cyprus, the UAE, and Qatar discussed establishing a maritime aid corridor from Cyprus amid international pressure on Israel to alleviate hunger in Gaza.
– A shipment from the U.S.-based charity World Central Kitchen, carrying 200 million tons of aid, departed from Cyprus to Gaza earlier in the week.

ANALYSIS-Biden-Netanyahu rift raises questions about US weapons to Israel

ANALYSIS-Biden-Netanyahu rift raises questions about US weapons to Israel

A rift has developed between President Joe Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over potential military actions in Gaza, particularly concerning a ground offensive in the south of the enclave. This situation has led to discussions within the U.S. administration about possibly leveraging military aid to encourage Israel to facilitate humanitarian relief in Gaza and minimize civilian casualties in its conflict with Hamas. Despite Biden’s historical support for Israel, he has shown signs of frustration with Netanyahu’s responses and has not ruled out the possibility of conditioning military aid on Israel’s actions, especially regarding an invasion of Rafah in southern Gaza. The U.S. has begun airdropping humanitarian supplies into Gaza and plans to build a floating aid dock off the Gaza coast. Conversations have occurred within the U.S. State Department about limiting military aid to Israel, though this idea has not gained traction among senior leadership. Biden’s approach to the situation is influenced by his 2024 re-election bid, aiming to balance support among pro-Israel voters and progressive Democrats. Public messaging from the U.S. has intensified following incidents that resulted in Palestinian civilian casualties.

Amalthea Gaza aid operation to be intensified, Spokesman says

Amalthea Gaza aid operation to be intensified, Spokesman says

The “Amalthea” humanitarian aid operation for Gaza, announced by Government Spokesman Konstantinos Letymbiotis, will be continued and intensified to deliver more aid to the civilian population. Cyprus has developed an additional tool to supplement existing aid channels, requiring collaboration with regional and international partners for maritime resources, safe transport, and distribution of aid to Gaza. The first aid ship from Larnaca marks the activation of the Amalthea Plan, establishing a systematic maritime corridor for humanitarian aid. The initiative has been welcomed by the President of the European Commission and involves joint efforts with countries like the United Arab Emirates, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom. Cyprus, utilizing its geographical proximity and relations, champions this maritime corridor based on international humanitarian law. Greece is among the countries supporting this initiative, having signed the Joint Declaration issued on 8 March. The initiative has been presented in international forums and to the European Council, aiming to enhance Cyprus’s role in the region and provide life-saving aid to civilians in the Gaza Strip. Letymbiotis also denied claims about Israel’s interest in purchasing a port in Cyprus, calling the report unfounded and false.

Israel checking reports that Hamas’ military No 2 killed in Gaza strike

Israel checking reports that Hamas’ military No 2 killed in Gaza strike

Israel was investigating whether Marwan Issa, Hamas’s second-highest military leader, died in an air strike on the Al-Nusseirat camp in central Gaza. The attack, which occurred on Saturday night, resulted in five fatalities. Issa is a key figure in Hamas’s military wing, the Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades. His death could impact efforts to secure a ceasefire in the Gaza war, which has lasted more than five months, causing significant casualties and destruction. The conflict began after a Hamas attack on October 7, leading to over 31,000 Palestinian deaths and nearly 73,000 injuries. Negotiations for a ceasefire are ongoing, with involvement from Egyptian and Qatari mediators. Additionally, an Israeli air strike in Gaza City killed 16 people in the Abu Shammala family’s house. The conflict has displaced most of Gaza’s 2.3 million residents, with a significant humanitarian crisis unfolding. Aid efforts are being made, including the dispatch of vessels carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza.