Republic of Cyprus in contact with Moscow through diplomatic channels, Government Spokesperson says over entry ban
The Republic of Cyprus is in contact with Moscow through diplomatic channels, Government Spokesman Konstantinos Letymiotis said on Friday over the ban on entry into Russia of three officials of the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Cyprus, noting that we should "let diplomacy work." ».
In his statements to journalists, at the Presidential Palace, when asked about the matter, the Spokesperson said that "it is not a pleasant development". He noted that these are three officials who were not related to the essence of the case, but to the handling of the implementation of the decisions of the competent authorities. "On behalf of the Republic of Cyprus, all the necessary measures had been taken to protect the national security of our state, but also to implement the decisions and protect the interests of the Republic," he added. "We are in contact through diplomatic channels, let's let diplomacy work," said Mr Letympiotis.
It is recalled that on Thursday the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia announced the ban on entry into the country for citizens – officials of the Republic of Cyprus, connected to the suspension of accreditation and the expulsion of the correspondent of the Russian Government newspaper from Cyprus last October.